1. Boma maintainance and repairs - this is ongoing and we need to ensure it is in tip-top condition for our new arrivals or our relocations who are quarantined on their way in our out. Smaller camps are also used as recovery and monitoring of animals that have been injured by snares. re-sealing of all wooden structures against the elements, repairing and replacing damaged wooden structures. Maintaining the elctric fence. Ensuring the water supply is functional at all times.
2. Guard camps - these men and women are putting their lives on the line to protect our wildlife from the unscrupulous armed poachers who lay their deadly snares to take down unwitting antelope, rhino, lion or wild dog for muthi or bush meat. Honorary Officers have managed, over the last few years, to erect solar powered geysers and solar panels for lightning, televisions, and charging of radios. The guard camps were very grateful to receive a much needed donation of televisions, gym equipment, soccer tables and dart boards to pass their off duty time with. Remember, they are miles away from the nearest shops.....
3. Hangar - conversion of a undercover shed to a proper aircraft hangar. The structure was closed up, doors fitted and electricity installed. The hangar is used to store EKZN Wildlife helicopters that are used for anti-poaching, emergencies, game counting, research and other purposes.
4. Submersible pumps - The area's underground sourced water is of a very high salt content. This has a very negative effect of corroding the pump internals, thus making them very high maintainance, and very expensive items to look after. Replacing and repairing these units is very labour intensive too.
5. Generator repairs and maintainance - The generator for Mshopi campsite requires regular servicing, repairs and maintainance to keep the power and and the water tankse full. That is, when there is water avaialable.
6. Ops Centre - Installation of systems to track guards, animals and APU units throughout the park - live. Technology is expensive and the main cause of failures here is as a result of water(rain) and lightning strkes on the PTP towers and beacons. LoRa repeater installations.
7. General maintainance - regular maintainance and repair of electrical and plumbing systems in guard camps, staff quarters, guest accomodation and camp site. This includes patching, painting, sealing, cementing and woodwork where required.
8. Game hides - repairing, electric fences, gates, solar and plumbing systems.
9. Reserve vehicle and implement repairs - as required.
10. Mantuma and Mshopi swimming pools - repairs to pumps, pipes, servicing of filters and pumps, and keeping the pools healthy for our guests - the pools are a neccessity in summer.
11. Mshopi Entrance and Campsite - cleanup of the old entrance gate area and the garden. repair of lights and electrical systems in and around both ablution blocks and in the campsite.
This is by no means everything - there is still a project work list, a wish list, and of course an ermergency list that we work off to attend to any unplanned breakages that may have crept out of the woodwork and which would need priority attention.